Saturday, August 13, 2016

Review - Kiss an Angel

Title: Kiss an Angel
Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Publishing Date: 1996
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: A+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: Received a free copy at the 2016 RT convention.

As far as I know, Kiss an Angel is not part of any series by SEP.  Daisy Devreaux's mother was a famous model, with whom her father had a fling with once and never married.  Daisy was raised by her unconventional mother and has lived a life of privilege.  Since her mother's recent death, Daisy has racked up a substantial amount of debt, enough that she could serve jail time.  Her father is willing to pay off Daisy's debts and keep her out of jail as long as she agrees to marry Alex Markov.  Alex owes Daisy's father a debt and Alex always pays his debts.  Alex is tasked with reigning Daisy in and teach her how to grow up and be responsible for once in her life.

As you can see from my rating, I absolutely adored this book!!!  Daisy might just be my favorite heroine ever.  At first you think, oh God, she is going to be a brat.  And this is exactly what Alex assumes, as well, when he meets her.  But actually Daisy nothing like you would think.  She is actually such a sweet caring person you can't help but fall in love with her.  She is very naïve about things and assumes the best of people and that it gets her into trouble.  Right after she marries Alex, he takes her to her new home, which is a run down trailer in a circus.  Yes, that's right.  A circus.

Let me tell you this book had me in stiches.  Some of the exchanges between Alex and Daisy are hilarious.  Daisy gets a few over on Alex every once in a while, but most of the story, Alex is ruling the roost.  Even though at first you think Alex is the stronger character, the reader quickly realizes that Daisy is the stronger one.  SEP always takes her heroines to rock bottom, only to have them strengthen their resolve and face the challenge head on.  Kiss an Angel has so much heart, and laughter and tears.  I loved it.  And this book has to have one of the best grovel scenes I have ever read.  I love, love, loved it!!  What are you waiting for??? Seriously, go and read this book!!

3 comments:

Rowena said...

OMG, I LOVE THIS BOOK! I haven't been able to get into any of SEP's latest books but this one? I FREAKING LOVED! I love it every time I re-read it too. Alex was such a jerk but what a lovable jerk he ends up being and then Daisy's change throughout the book. Loved it. OMG, what Alex does for Daisy in the end? *happy sigh*

Holly said...

This is probably my favorite of all SEP's books. It's generally a hard sell for people because it's set in a circus, but it's SO WONDERFUL. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Jill D. said...

Rowena, I understand what you are saying about SEP's newer offerings. I think the last two, I was just okay with. I enjoyed them, but not like some of her older works.

Holly, Yes, I may have to put this book above Bobby Tom in Heaven Texas. I have to admit that I did not know that this book revolved around the circus. If I'd have known, I may not have been very excited to read it. Alas, the circus is what made this book for me!!