Friday, May 13, 2011

Review - Hunger Games



Title: Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publishing Date: 2008
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: A
Sensuality: Kisses
Book Disclosure: I recieved a free copy from a good friend of mine.

Hunger Games is the first book in a trilogy by Suzanne Collins. The book takes place in the future in North America after it has been ravaged by war. What we know as America has been transformed into Panem. In this new world most people are just struggling to survive under this new harsh leadership. Each year two children between the ages of 12 and 18 are selected from each district to participate in a reality based TV show named the Hunger Games. In the Hunger Games the participants have to kill each other and the remaining sole survivor is named the winner. This year Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take the place of her little sister in the Games.

Oh. My. God! This book was incredible. I couldn't put the book down. I was riveted to the pages, on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. This was the book I chose for my book club and the other members I have talked to agree that they couldn't put the book down. As I write this, one other member has already read all three books in this trilogy. She had to know what happened next and I can hardly blame her.

First off, this story is extremely fast paced with a ton of great characters. The book is told in first person by Katniss, a sixteen year old mature beyond her years. A fighter to the core, Katniss will do what it takes to survive without losing her compassion for others. She is a compelling, wonderful heroine that everyone will love.

The Games themselves are very interesting and imaginative. The mood throughout the story is sad and imprisoned but with an underlining layer of hope. I just loved the story. There is a subtle thread of romance throughout the book. I love that Katniss is never sure of her feelings and as readers we get to experience all her thoughts and emotions. The end of Hunger Games leaves with some closure, but it definitely sets the readers up for the next book in the series, which I can't wait to read. This book comes highly recommended!

5 comments:

Rowena said...

Wasn't this such a fantastic read? I adored it too. Katniss sure is kick ass and if you enjoyed this book then you'll enjoy Catching Fire. =) Great review, it makes me want to go and re-read it.

Did everyone in your book club enjoy it?

Marg said...

Wasn't this just a fabulous read. So often books that are really hyped can be a let down, but this one wasn't!

Jessica said...

I loved Hunger Games also, I had to read all three back to back. I just couldn't stop until I finished the whole series. I thought Katniss was a fabulous heroine. She felt real, and flawed.

Unknown said...

I read this one before, I love your review, in fact I'm downloading the audio version, I'll like to revisit it before the movie comes out.

Amanda said...

I love this trilogy so much I'm thinking about reading it again! I've had my mom and all my friends read it too. :)