Sunday, February 13, 2011

Review - Deeply, Desperately



Title: Deeply, Desperately
Author: Heather Webber
Publishing Date: 2010
Genre: Mystery
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: I purchased this book used at a book store.

Deeply, Desperately is the second Lucy Valentine novel by Heather Webber. Lucy Valentine is the daughter of Oscar Valentine, who started up a renowned matchmaking business. The Valentines have been blessed with being able to see a person's aurora and can tell when two auroras are a match, hence the success of the business. Unfortunately for Lucy, she lost her ability to see auroras and it was replaced with the ability to find missing objects. Lucy opened up her own business to help find missing people. She also sidelines by helping the police department with missing person cases. Sean Donahue, a private investigator helps Lucy from time to time and is also her boyfriend.

In Deeply, Desperately, Lucy and Sean's relationship is moving to the next level, but Lucy is afraid because even though the Valentine's are responsible for many successful relationships, their own love lives are abysmal failures. Lucy is afraid of following the same pattern and has been very cautious with Sean. In addition to her love life, Lucy is trying to help an 80 year old POW find his lost lady love of 50 some years ago and is also helping the police find a missing woman.

I really enjoyed Deeply, Desperately. It is a cute book and Lucy is a great character. She is down to earth, loving and sensible. I enjoyed this second book even better than the first. It was just a fun story. The pacing is great. There is a lot going on in the book and the mysteries are balanced by Lucy's personal life. Lucy has got a great head on her shoulders and it is fun to follow along with her on her cases. It is also a treat to see her struggle over her feelings for Sean. I also really enjoy Lucy's interactions with her friends and family. They are a big point of focus in the book and it makes Lucy all the more easily to relate to. I am looking forward to more of this series.

4 comments:

nath said...

so glad you enjoyed it, Jill :) I totally agree with you on everything you said :)

Lucy is a great heroine :) Yes, Lucy get pulled in all the stuff happening around her, she's still quite level-headed :) I love that she cares about everyone, but at the same time, doesn't ignore herself and is a martyr.

Also, there is so much going on in the book, but with Ms Heather's writing, everything meshes together well and balances out :)

LOL, I guess the world is balance here :) Plus the fluffy atmosphere, it makes for a winner :P

Hilcia said...

Oh Jill, I enjoyed this book more than the first one also. I'm actually loving this series. Now you have to read the third one. I liked even more! Loving Lucy. :D

Jill D. said...

Nath - Yes, this series really surprised me. I thought it would be too light for me. I like my paranormals more dark and angsty, which this is not by a long shot. However, Lucy is a great character and I have just fallen in love with her, LOL!

Hilcia - I am itching to read the third one! I can't believe I waited so long to read the second one. I just breezed through it and was craving more. Now, I don't have to wait for the third but then what will I do once I have finished that, LOL?!

Leslie said...

Yes! Just finished the first one and have this one waiting impatiently for me. :)

Really like Lucy - she's so easy to relate to.