Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review - Eternal Kiss of Darkness



Title: Eternal Kiss of Darkness
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Publishing Date: August 2010
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B-
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I purchased a new copy.

Eternal Kiss of Darkness is a standalone spin-off from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. Mencheres is a centuries old vampire who is ready for his true death. After passing his power to his second in command, Bones he longs to see the sun. Kira Graceling, a former police officer has always lived by the code that one must try to save a life. She stumbles upon Mencheres being beaten by a group of thugs. Little does Kira know her life is about to change forever. Kira mistakenly discovers the existence of vampires by coming to Mencheres’s rescue. He must take her into custody while she has knowledge of his kind.

I don't know what it is about this spin-off series but I don't like it nearly as much as I do the actual Night Huntress series. Every couple compared to Kat and Bones just pales in comparison. Where is the humor, the sarcasm, the feistiness? It's all just too bland. These other characters just can't compete.

Kira is a decent character. She is brave and smart. She takes in this whole other world of supernatural creatures like a champ. She listens to Mencheres and shows caution when it's needed and initiative when it's needed. Really, she is a gem of a heroine. But damn it all to hell, she is no Cat. I know it really is unfair to judge like this, but when it's all said and done, I can't help but compare.

I am sort of torn in my recommendation. First off, for those of you who haven't tried Jeaniene Frost this book could easily be a standalone and be a good place to start. Unfortunately, I don't like this book nearly as much as I do her other books. But maybe having not read the other books, Eternal Kiss of Darkness might not look so bad in comparison. Fans of Frost are going to pick up this book anyway because if you’re like me you will want to read anything she writes in the hopes of getting your fix. Do what you will, readers. Do what you will.

Here is what others had to say:

My Overstuffed Bookshelf
Babbling about Books and More
Smokin' Hot Books
Smexy Books
My Reading Addiction
Alpha Reader

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I haven't tried the spin off series for fear that I won't like it as much. I think I like Bones and Cat so much that I wouldn't like the other characters. :)

Dr J said...

Not every series by our favorite authors can match some of those we like best. Perhaps it is just that we as humans do have a relentless need to compare and that is too bad--a book like this may have become one that we really liked if it had not been for the other series. Being objective just doesn't seem to be possible. I think I will read it if given the chance--good writing, after all, is just good writing.

Jill D. said...

Tracy - That is exactly what happened with me. The other characters pale in comparison to Kat and Bones.

Dr. J. - It is really hard to not compare. After all, you have read this author and come to have certain expectations. For me, it was hard not to compare. But I have heard from plenty of others who have enjoyed the spin-offs just as much as the actual series. If you do give it a chance, I'll be interested to hear what you think.

nath said...

So it is going to be a spin-off series? Like more than one book? LOL. I've never read Ms Frost and don't feel like it. I'm really burn on the paranormal ^_^;