Monday, July 26, 2010

Review - Ten Things I Love About You



Title: Ten Things I Love About You
Author: Julia Quinn
Publishing Date: June 2010
Genre: Historical
Rating: C+
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: Received a used copy from Paperbackswap.com

Ten Things I Love About You is book three in Julia Quinn's Bevelstoke series. Annabel Winslow's large family of 10 siblings and her widowed mother are depending on her to marry well. Lord Newbury desperately needs to sire a son or his title will pass to his nephew Sebastian Grey, whom he despises. Lord Newbury is twice Annabel's age with wrinkles and flabby jowls. But she is willing to throw herself on the knife for her beloved family. The situation becomes complicated when Annabel meets the charming and hansom nephew.

Ten Things I Love About You was a nice story about two nice people, who were in a not so nice situation. Annabel and Sebastian were fine characters, but I felt like the book lacked that piece of pizzazz to really garner my interest. I hate to say it, but I was more than a little bored reading this book. It just had a hard time of holding my attention. It wasn't badly written by any means, but at the same time I didn't feel like there was anything that lends itself to really making an impact.

Sebastian is a sensitive man, and readers who like Beta characters will really like him. I myself thought he was a little too soft, but I like them really Alpha, so don't mind me. It's just there were times when Sebastian would be giving an inner monologue and it would come across as a little bit girly. I also thought the eeevil Uncle was too much and didn't really seem to fit with the story. It seemed like overkill to me. Okay, so the consensus now that I have summed up my thoughts is that I was not crazy about this book. Read it at your own risk!

Here is what others had to say:

Breezing Through
The Good, The Bad, and The Unread
The Book Smugglers
Book Binge
Buried By Books

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

4 comments:

nath said...

Nice review, Jill. Perhaps it's the writing style that didn't match the action? Cos I mean, stuff happened in Ten Things I love About You...

Me, well you read my review, LOL. It's the heroine. Ugh.

Tricia said...

I keep seeing this one at the store and I know I'll pick it up eventually because its Julia Quinn but now I may wait to get it from PBS b/c I like a more alpha hero too.

Leslie said...

It sounds really mellow. Definitely have to be in the right mood for it. I've go it on the tbr pile and I think it will stay there for awhile. :)

Jill D. said...

Nath - Yes things happened, but I felt like they were dragged out. So yes I suppose it was the writing style. Now that I look back on it, I think the heroine bothered me too.

Tricia - I got this one from paperbackswap. Used book stores are always good for those books you know you aren't going to keep.

Leslie - Mellow is a good word to describe this book. Maybe you will be in the mood for it at some point.