Sunday, June 20, 2010

Series Sunday - The Compass Club by Jo Goodman

One of my favorite historical authors is the talented Jo Goodman. I only recently discovered her and she has an extensive back list that I eventually hope to get through. I stumbled across Let Me Be the One, the first book in The Compass Club Quartet, in my library's downloadable audio book collection. I listened to it and loved it. Lucky for me my library has all four audio books which I have plans to listen to as I am driving.

The Compass Club books take place during the Regency period. It features four men who went to school together. Each was considered an outcast of some sort and they all banded together calling themselves The Compass Club, which was derived from their names North, South, East and West. They each get their own book which features a mystery they must solve for the Colonel Blackwell. The interesting thing about these books is they all take place at the same time and certain scenes are told in multiple books, but from different points of view.

I am reading these books in order, but I don't think it's necessary to do so. Since the books overlap, you really could read the books in any order and not lessen the reading experience.

Series Reading Order
Let Me Be the One (Earl of Northam and Libby Pinrose)
Everything I Ever Wanted (Earl of Southerton and India Parr)
All I Ever Needed (Marquess of Eastlyn and Sophia Colley)
Beyond a Wicked Kiss (Duke of Westphal and Ria Ashby)

4 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Actually the last one - Beyond a Wicked Kiss and my favourite of the four, takes place somewhat later than the others - or at least it wraps up later. So while the order of the others doesn't matter too much, BAWK should be saved to last.

I'm so glad you are enjoying this author. She's one of my favourites and it's a good thing for you she does have a large backlist since she only puts out one a year. Mind you, I'm not one to wish she had more, since her writing is so deep that I would hate to see her lose that in an effort to write quicker. I'd rather have fewer books with higher quality.

Jill D. said...

Kristie - Oh thanks for letting me know about Beyond a Wicked Kiss. I was planning on reading it last anyway. I love her writing and I am so glad I have many great books ahead of me!

Kaetrin said...

I have this series in paper form - you've made me want to listen to the stories too but I can't find them anywhere :(

They are, however, great books and if you liked the first one, there's no doubt you'll enjoy the rest of them!

Leslie said...

Love the camaraderie of the four men. And like Kristie said, Goodman's writing is deep and explores some tough subjects.

The Compass Club, The Heart trilogy and the Dennehy sisters are some of my favorite Goodman books.