Friday, February 5, 2010

Review - Bed of Roses



Title: Bed of Roses
Author: Nora Roberts
Publishing Date: 2009
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: C+
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Bed of Roses is the second book in Nora Roberts Bride Quartet. Emma Grant and her three best friends started the wedding company Vows. Emma runs the flower portion of the company. She is in it for the romance. Everything she believes centers around romance. She has noticed her increasing feelings for their good friend Jack, but she hasn't wanted to act on them for fear of ruining their friendship if things don't work out. It seems fate has other ideas, as Emma and Jack keep getting thrown together.

I really loved the first book in this series Vision in White and was really looking forward to Bed of Roses. Unfortunately Bed of Roses did not live up to my expectations. It's true that Bed of Roses did have some of the same elements that I loved about Vision in White in that the friendship between these four amazing women is still there. Where the book was lacking was in the actual execution of the main romance between Emma and Jack. Since this is a romance, that's not exactly a good thing.

For the most part I felt that Emma and Jack's relationship was overshadowed by the other things taking place in the book. The weddings being coordinated by Vows, the set up of Parker and Laurel's future books, and even Mac and Carter's relationship all detracted from Emma and Jack. Then to compound the problem, Emma's work took up so much of her time that she and Jack weren't together much of the book. This made their developing passion seem a tad unbelievable. Their relationship just didn't work for me. I found myself more interested in the teaser scenes for Laurel and Parker's books than the main romance of this one.

Here is what others had to say:

52 Weeks is Nothing
Love Romance Passion
Lesa's Book Critiques
Babbling About Books and More...
Breezing Through This is a great discussion about this book
Love Romances and More
Romance Reading Mom
I Just Finished Reading
Errant Dreams Reviews

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's sad that it didn't deliver in the romance. I'm so disappointed too when the sequel of a promising series doesn't live up to my expectations. I was thinking about reading the first book in this series as my first Nora Roberts book (I know, where have I been to not have read a Nora Roberts yet. LOL.) but I guess I'll try another one of her series. Hope the next book is better! :D

Hilcia said...

Emma's work took up so much of her time that she and Jack weren't together much of the book. This made their developing passion seem a tad unbelievable.
I felt so disconnected from the H/H while reading this story exactly because of what you said above. The romance fell flat for me. Great review, Jill. :)

I'm also looking forward to Savor the Moment.

~ames~ said...

Awww, I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you. I really enjoyed it, but then friends to lovers is my favorite theme. LOL

Are you going to read the next book in this series?

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the Review - Bed of Roses. I found it to be interesting. Will order my copy soon. Iflorist.co.uk

Jill D. said...

Anna, the first book in the series Vision in White is a good book and you could start with that one if you wanted. Although, Roberts has a ton of books to choose from. Do you like contemporary or Romantic suspense better? For romantic suspense I would highly recommend Angels Falls. I reviewed it a while back and gave it an A rating. It's a really good book.

Hilcia - seems like we both had the same reaction to this one. I do hope Savor the Moment makes up for it :) I am not giving up on this series, that's for sure.

Ames - I am definitely still going to read the next book. I am not ready to give up on this series yet :)

Beth - Your welcome :) I hope you enjoy it.

nath said...

That's a different take on things, Jill, but I see where you are coming from. I was okay with the romance, they established their own routine... but you're right, we could have seen more. There are still two books though, so hopefully, those will be winners :D