Friday, January 15, 2010

Cleaning House and Making Room for the New Year



Like my home, my blog also needed some updating. I have finally taken the time to clean up my sidebar. Notice there are quite a few things missing. Yes, I have decided not to join any challenges this year. I made this decision after realizing that by forcing myself read a book, just to complete a challenge felt like homework. Let's face it. If it feels like homework then it is homework and who wants to do homework in their downtime? Hell no, not me. I don't want that!

With that thought in mind, my New Year's resolution is to ONLY READ BOOKS THAT I AM IN THE MOOD TO READ. Yes, that's right. From here on out, there will be no more reading books that I feel OBLIGATED to read. You heard it here first, folks!

It's so funny to me that something so simple as making that declaration makes me feel like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders. I feel like this is going to be the best year ever for my reading and my blog. I am not even going to set a reading goal. I am just going to let the wind carry me where it will. Maybe I will read 100 books, maybe I will read 150. I don't know and I don't care. I'll read what I read and be happy with it.

Cheers! Here's to the new me!



14 comments:

Rowena said...

That's great, you do whatever makes reading fun and not so much a job! Happy New Year sweetie and I'll be following along with your reading adventures so I'm excited!

The sidebars look great, I love all of the covers!

Lori said...

Yay you! I've always embraced that philosophy, and it makes reading very enjoyable.

Christine said...

Great resolution, Jill! This is all supposed to be nothing but fun, so do what YOU want WHEN you want. I joined what feels like a hundred (not really) reading challenges in 2010 and the funny thing is ... already I'm like, "Oh well. Whatever." LOL. But Shhhh.
Don't tell anyone. ... I look very serious about it on my blog. ;)

Jill D. said...

Thanks for your kind words ladies! Funny how something that can be so obvious to other people is completely foreign to me. Not anymore, though!

Marg said...

I have done some years with challenges, and some without. This year is a with challenges year!

The thing for me is that I always have some kind of reading order imposed on me because of the library due dates. I need to work a bit more on being able to read what I want when I want.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I like your attitude! I've joined a few challenges this year for the first time and I understand what you're saying already. But I'm going to go for it anyway and if I don't like it then next year I'll be back to "doin' it my way".

Kara said...

I've joined challenges this year...but I am not forcing myself to read any particular books...the challenges I've joined are pretty open as to the books that need to be read.

I love your resolutions though...last year I felt really bogged down and I don't like that feeling about my reading.

Good for you and good luck this year!!!

Jill D. said...

Marg - Aww, those pesky library due dates, lol! They sure can motivate a person.

Patti - You should try a challenge at least once because it can be a great motivator. Good luck this year. I hope it all works out for you :)

Kara - Glad to see I am not alone.
Best of luck this year with your challenges!

~ames~ said...

Glad you took a stand! I hope you can stick with this and that you have a great reading year!

nath said...

Yeah, it sucks to be pressured into reading :(

Kris said...

go you!! reading is supposed to be a hobby and fun, if it feels like homework then it is not fun. Happy reading :)

Hilcia said...

Good for you, Jill. Whatever makes it fun and keeps it fun! Cheers!

Jill D. said...

Thanks ladies! I sure hope I can stick to this resolution. You would think it would be easy to, but you never know with me, lol!

Holly said...

Good for you, Jill!

Here's to a wonderful new year filled with wonderful books!