Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Review - Joe's Wife





Title: Joe's Wife
Author: Cheryl St. John
Publishing Date: 1999
Genre: Western
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: Received a used copy from Paperbackswap.

Meg Telford's husband died while fighting in the Civil War. She refuses to give up their farm. Knowing that she has no hope of keeping it unless she marries, she proposes to Ty Hatcher. Ty recently returned to Aspen Grove after fighting in the War. He was always ostracized by the townsfolk because he never knew his father. One of the only citizens who were ever nice to him was Meg. She always had a smile for him even though others shunned him and now she is asking him to marry her. It was a dream come true, until he realized he would be filling a dead man's shoes.

Joe's Wife was an absolute treat to read. It is one of those stories where the reader easily gets lost in the characters. Meg is grieving the loss of her husband and doesn't want to give up his dream - which was to make a success of their farm. Joe wants to prove to the townsfolk that he is worthy of their respect even though he is technically a bastard. Meg and Joe start off their marriage as one of convenience but eventually come to love one another. It is a beautiful journey between two people learning to come to terms with who they are and their new life together.

Leslie has written a really wonderful review, which influenced me to read this book. I just would like to point out one thing in addition to what Leslie said. I really appreciate that the love scenes are integral to the development of Meg and Joe's relationship. They are sensual, yet they are pivotal in moving the relationship forward. I love how Meg and Ty work through their problems. Even though the sex is great, they eventually have to talk about it! If you are in the mood for a wonderful Western or Marriage of Convenience, don't miss this one!

Leslie's Psyche
Impressions of a Reader

This book can be purchased in print format from Amazon
.

6 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Isn't this one everything we said it would be?? Isn't it huh, isn't it??

I can't remember - is this your first Cheryl St. John book? If it is, you are in for some wonderful reads!

Lori said...

I remember when Leslie posted this review! I wanted to read it, too. Adding it to my TBR list right now. Great review, Jill.

Jill D. said...

Kristie - Yep, Joe's Wife is the first book I have had the pleasure of reading by St. John. I also have His Secondhand Wife sitting in my TBR pile, which Aztek Lady gave a glowing review. I definitely plan on reading more.

Lori - Oh, yes Lori! I do think you should give it a try. You won't regret it :)

Wendy said...

If memory serves this was my first St. John read many moon ago. I'm overdue for a reread of it!

Jill D. said...

Wendy, It's one of those books that could get your reading mojo flowing again the next time a reading slump rears its ugly head.

nath said...

I'm keeping this for 2010 :D I got a copy from Hils who got it from Leslie to read :D Can't wait!!