Friday, December 4, 2009

Review - Indiscreet


Title: Indiscreet
Author: Carolyn Jewel
Publishing Date: October 2009
Genre: Historical
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: Checked it out from the library after coming across many fabulous reviews on the web.

Lord Edward Marrack becomes the Marquess of Foye after his older brother dies unexpectedly. Edward had vowed never to marry after being engaged to a woman who runs off with another man, who was a close friend of Edwards. Edward wasn't the only one hurt by the scandal. Sabine Godard was also caught in the backfire and her reputation was ruined. Her Uncle, Sir Henry takes her along with him on his travels to the Middle East to escape the scandal. There by accident almost two years later, Lord Foye and Sabine meet in Turkey. Sabine is an unusual woman because she has been better educated than most men. Edward can't help his fascination with her and he begins to court her.

Indiscreet is a nice, entertaining read. Sabine is an unusual woman for her time because of her level of education, but reader's will appreciate that she still acts like a woman from the 19th century and not the 21st. I really liked that Edward and Sabine early in the story establish their relationship. Both are equally open about their feelings toward one another. It was nice that the two characters facilitated their relationship moving forward, rather than an external conflict.

Eventually, Sabine does find herself kidnapped by an important Pasha and Edward comes to her rescue. He uses his wit instead of his might to get her back. Edward was also unusual in that he is a very large, muscular man, about 6 1/2 feet tall and has (how to put it delicately) not a pretty face. He is self-conscious of his size and wishes he weren't so big. I am such a sucker for a large, ugly hero. He isn't really ugly - at least Sabine doesn't think so and that's what's important.

One little factor that kept pestering me was the details surrounding Sir Henry's unfortunate incident. More information, or closure seemed needed to clear things up. Also, it is unclear whether the Pasha was ever held responsible for his misdeeds. Otherwise, the actual romance between Sabine and Edward was a real winner.

Here is what others had to say:

The Geeky Bookworm
Happily Forever After
Dear Author
Novel Addiction
Nobody Asked Me
Closetwriter

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

12 comments:

Sophia (FV) said...

Sounds like a nice weekend read. I'll check this out. Great review. :)

Kristie (J) said...

I've tried a couple of times to find this one in the nearest Chapters. Their records say they have 4 copies but they aren't shelved in the romance section and they aren't shelved in the general fiction shelves. Not even the clerk can find them!! Now you've reminded me that I need to try a different bookstore *g*

Mandi said...

Nice review - this has been in my tbr pile for awhile now..really need to get to it!

Jill D. said...

Hi Ladies! This one was a nice chance of pace as it was set in the Middle East. It's a very easy read and the word on the web is mostly positive. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it. Let me know what you think.

Marissa said...

I have this one too, I just finished Scandal by the same author, liked that one very much, looking forward to read this one!

Aleena said...

nice review =) Ill look for it

nath said...

Jill, thank you sooo much for your review :D You're the first review that actually makes me want to go and read it! :) I know everyone has raved about it, but not really giving details...

Kristie - did you get the clerk to give you 15% coupon for not finding the book?

Jill D. said...

Marissa - I read Scandal too, but I think I liked this one even better. You should enjoy this one then.

Aleena - Hi and welcome to my blog! I hope you stop by again :)

Nath - Well, I sure am glad I could help you out. It's hard sometimes to give details without spoilers. Of course if you ever want to know something specific about a book I reviewed, you can always email me with your questions.

nath said...

LOL, well I already read the ending LOL, so I think it's okay :) I just needed something to make me want to read the book other than: It was really good!

Jill D. said...

Nath - What do you mean you read the ending? You read only the end?! Or did you read the whole book?

Yeah - I need to know WHY the book was really good - and not just "It was really good"! That does help, lol!

nath said...

Well most reviews I read did say why they enjoyed it - the writing, the characters, etc. I just needed more details about the story itself.

And no, I meant just the end. As in, I read the end first in most of the books... Or I read the fist few pages, skip to the end and come back.

Jill D. said...

Nath! You bad girl, you! I can't believe you skip to the end! That's cheating, lol!