Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Review - Angels Fall




Title: Angels Fall
Author: Nora Roberts
Publishing Date: 2006
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Rating: A
Sensuality: Warm

Something terrible happened to Reece Gilmore back in Boston, terrible enough to cause her panic attacks and doubt her own sanity. Trying to make a new life for herself she hits the road and is not sure where she will end up. She is just living in the moment trying to survive each minute, each hour. Her radiator in her car finally gives up in the quant town of Angel’s Fist, Wyoming. As she is walking down the street waiting for her car to get fixed she notices the sign in a diner window proclaiming a need for a cook. With only $200 in her pocket, she decides maybe it's time to stop running and get a job.

Not more than a week into her stay in Angel’s Fist as she is hiking a trail Reece witnesses a murder. When she reports what she saw the town Sherriff investigating doesn't quite believe her. There is no evidence of the supposed murder that she witnessed; no body and no signs of a struggle. Her only saving grace is that local recluse and mystery author Jamison Brody believes her. Strange events start happening and Reece begins to doubt her sanity. Brody and Reece start to build a trusting relationship and with each other’s help begin to decipher this murder mystery.

I am on a roll with my choice of romantic suspense books lately. Angels Fall is another one for the keeper stack. Reece Gilmore is a complex puzzle that readers will fall in love with. Sure she is a little bit neurotic with her tendency to check, double check and triple check the locks on her doors and windows. And sure she sleeps with the lights on and can’t handle small closed spaces, but that’s what makes her so unique and lovable. She wasn’t always like that but something horrific happened in her past. The reader doesn’t find out right away why Reece is this way and that is part of the intrigue to the story.

Brody is a perfect match for Reece. He is brutally honest with his opinions. Whenever Reece would start to have a panic attack he would not allow it. There would be no pity, or sympathy from his corner. He sees the inner strength in her, the courage that it takes for her to get up every day and face the world and he admires that. He only wants to encourage her to keep moving forward, not backwards. As soon as Brody takes the tough guy approach with her, it gets her back up. Reece not one to let him badger her, gives as good as she gets. Let the sparks fly!

I felt that the suspense and romance was perfectly balanced in Angels Fall. The romance was passionate and the suspense was thrilling. The town of Angel’s Fist is the perfect backdrop with its soaring sights and charming townspeople. I can see why Nora Roberts is the Grand Dame of romance.


This book was part of Keishon's TBR Challenge 2009. The theme for this month was wrongfully accused or just released from jail. This doesn't quite fit that description, but it had been lanquishing in my TBR since the book was first released three years ago. I don't know what took me so long to get to it!

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

6 comments:

nath said...

This one was great, Jill! Your review makes me want to read it again! LOL :)

The perfect balance of romance and suspense as well as two great and interesting characters. Seriously, after what Reece has gone through, who can blame her to be a little bit neurotic?!? I really enjoyed this one :D Glad you did too!

Leslie said...

Another NR that I should read. Great review Jill. :)

Jill D. said...

Thanks ladies. I don't know why I haven't read more by Roberts. Isabel recently reread Midnight Bayou and I think I am going to read that one by her too soon (hopefully)!

SarahT said...

I'm not an across the board Roberts fan but I do like her romantic suspenses. 'Angels Fall' is my second fave, and first place goes to 'Northern Lights'.

~ames~ said...

Eek - released 3 years ago?? I didn't realize it had been so long b/c its still collecting dust in my tbr pile too. Oops.

Jill D. said...

Sarah - I haven't read Northern Lights, but I feel a Nora glom coming on. I am going to have to read more of her books.

Ames - LOL! I know. Time sure does fly, doesn't it? You should read it, it's good.